Thursday, August 6, 2009

Release the Doves: Frank & Maria


Recently, I performed a wedding ceremony unlike any I had performed before. Frank and Maria were wonderful to work with. They met each other a bit later in their lives and I was struck by how rooted they both were in their traditions. It was a very nice thing to encounter and it was clear that family and roots meant a great deal to both.

I imagined that this would be a very routine wedding, steeped in the traditional ceremonial style. I was quite surprised when they suggested releasing doves as part of their service. I have heard of this done and spoken to colleagues who presided over dove releases, but I personally had never encountered this particular element before. In keeping with my promise to serve as guide for a service and not its author, I happily agreed to their suggestion and we scripted a very nice piece that included the reading of the Dove Poem.

Frank managed to locate a great service, Delaware White Dove Releases, servicing Delaware and areas in PA and NJ. Their representative, Dawn, came to the wedding early, met with me, and set up a beautiful stanchion where the bird cage was hung draped with white lace and bows. At the appropriate moment in the ceremony, Dawn opened the cage and gave the bride and groom each their own dove.

Frank and Maria released their doves on cue and it was an amazing portion of a great wedding. Later, dawn told me that the doves are trained to return to the dove farm in Delaware. Evidently, the doves have their own little reception waiting for them back home.

For details on Delaware White Dove Releases, visit http://www.delawaredovereleases.com/. And cheers to Frank & Maria for teaching me something new!

No comments: